You love the written word. You notice little details and you care deeply about accurate representation in written language. You abide by journalistic standards. You are able to take writing up a level or two because you can see what's well written and what needs work in any copy that comes across your table. You are adept at removing superficial language and fine tuning sentences. You are skilled at developmental editing and able to see both the bigger picture of the story being conveyed as well as the little details that hold it together. You are also comfortable arguing your point as to the importance of using specific language or finding more resources to tell the story you wish to convey for any publication we produce or contribute to. You will work with the Creative Team to create and deliver final content for the client. You will have the support of an Assistant Editor. You also will be in charge of ensuring that any content we produce meets high quality standards that we follow at Elf. You will guide copywriters to create compelling, authentic and well written content each and every time.
Our ideal candidate is like a hawk - nothing escapes detection! At the same time, this individual has good manners, works well with others and is patient. Is this possible? We think so! In fact, this wonderful individual has already detected errors in this description alone, and has ideas on how to improve it. Our editor is the kind of person who is confident enough to challenge assumptions and is eager to take the lead and responsibility in defining editorial style and refining content that we create. This person intends to make a mark on the world, and will certainly do it at Elf. :)
This is an important role at Elf where you will be working with content for our clients and our brands. We are looking for a minimum 2-3 year commitment, with the option to stay on. This position is a dream job for the right candidate with plenty of room to grow and excel. Our ideal candidate is eager to apply him/herself and wants to do the best work possible.
We are also building an extensive library at our headquarters and our Chief Editor will play a definitive role in selecting books and publications to include for both print and digitized versions.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
• Confidence in leading a team of writers and working with a multidisciplinary team. Able to hold your own while working well with a team.
• Experience working in an agency, business or large university/organization setting required. Minimum 3 years in an editorial capacity.
• Demonstrated editorial ability in substantive/developmental editing.
• Impeccable grammar and spelling.
• Has high integrity and is self-reliant and conscientious by nature.
• Demonstrated strong writing ability in a variety of styles.
• Keen understanding of Chicago and AP manuals of style.
• Quick turnaround on shorter documents.
• Reliable and consistent, taking ownership over work.
• Able to clearly articulate ideas and concepts.
• BA in English, communications, creative writing, advertising or liberal arts.
• Digitally savvy.
• Quick thinking on your feet.
• Naturally curious.
• Excellent researcher and enjoys a good challenge.
• Naturally optimistic.
• Eager to learn.
Our ideal candidate is a published author (books, magazine articles and/or blogs). This individual is naturally curious and has studied other subjects. Our editor would also have some travel experience abroad and has an appreciation for other cultures and new ideas.
You can submit additional documents for review such as your résumé and references in PDF format to email@example.com.