The new Apple Watch offers exciting new possibilities for quick interactions on a distinct, one-of-a-kind interface.
We’ve explored some ideas of applications for the Apple Watch using the Apple Watch kit for everyday activities, ranging from to do lists and ordering coffee to money transfers and electric cars. We love that you can make a phone call from your Watch. How cool is that?
Apple Watch also comes with health and fitness tracking tools and reminders to help you be more active and aware. We're excited to see how health and fitness apps like Nike+ and others will integrate with the Watch's native functionality.
It’s incredibly exciting what this new interface offers for application development for things that make your life easier, more enjoyable and can simplify daily tasks.
Three aspects that we’re keen on:
Taptic Engine - Get vibrating feedback directly on your arm and set up customized taps for different alerts.
Voice Command - Give voice commands more easily and faster than using Siri from your phone.
Glances - Browse contextually relevant moments from your favorite apps.
While we've not yet pictured laser cutting or detonation options like the watches of agent 007 (James Bond) offer, we love that it definitely makes travel a lot easier. : )
Travel conveniences include:
+ Booking a car via Uber right from your watch
+ Boarding pass access on your watch via apps like American Airlines (just waive your watch by the terminal check-in)
+ Unlock your hotel room securely via apps like the W hotel without a room key, check in and bypass the front desk
Below are 9 ideas for daily use. We've included some awesome functionality showcased at the keynote on March 9th.
This can be useful when you're on the go and need to check your budget before you spend.
• Track spending and quickly check finances.
• Sync with financial institutions using apps like Mint via Quicken/Intuit.
2. Ordering Coffee or Food to Go.
The Apple Watch uses Bluetooth technology via iBeacons to figure out your precise location. This can be helpful when you need location-based reminders or promotions.
• Find local stores (grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops and retail) for what you need.
• Sync up with task apps so that you get a reminder when you pass a store or location to get something.
3. Chase and Money Transfers.
The Watch makes money transfers easy. Just double-clicking on the side can enable transactions with the thumb sensor and using Apple Pay.
• Make easy, instant transfers to pay bills and send money to people.
• Check cash withdrawals, deposits and balances via your bank and other financial institutions.
4. Calendar and To Do Lists.
Add appointments and things to do to your calendar with voice dictation. Get reminders for meetings.
• Receive easy reminders for upcoming appointments and actionable items to do.
• Update calendar in real time when tasks or meetings are completed.
• Receive contextual suggestions based on locations.
5. Blue Apron and Food Prep.
Have a kitchen assistant right on your wrist, keeping your hands free. Voice command options can help with cooking.
• Step by step instructions for cooking.
• Recipes with voice commands.
• Time steps in meal preparation easily.
6. ESPN Sport and Fantasy League Stats.
Follow your team in real time. Set up and play fantasy league games with friends. See data with a glance.
• Access to stats and details of games in real time.
• Notifications and alerts in real time.
• Set up, renew and play fantasy league games.
7. FedEx and Your Packages.
Get package notifications fast so you know when and where it is arriving.
• Fast notifications with time and location.
• Can also include details such as "signed by" and weight of package.
8. Your Electric Car.
Control your electric car via the Internet using the web service API. Gain important information about your car quickly without having to take out and unlock your phone.
• Check battery charge and mileage.
• Lock and unlock vehicle.
• Control temperature and other settings such as lights.
9. Foursquare and Check Ins.
Use voice search to find and check into nearby locations and quickly pull up options based on your habits. Scroll through choices using the digital crown and check in with a tap.
• Voice search.
• Suggestions based on your habits and location.
• Check in with a tap.